The Art Of Professional Networking
"Networking" has become a strong buzzword these days. From social networking to professional networking, everyone wants to build contacts and make friends. But it's not really just "making friends". Professional Networking is a lot more. It can be the soft cushion that protects you from the upheavals of an economy in recession. Your professional network works for you when you are out of work. Your contacts root for you and get you business when nothing seems to be going right.
Professional networking is not only for excutives in high paying jobs. From a small-time businssman to the corporate honcho, networking works for everyone. For people in jobs, networking is important to find new opportunities. For people in business, networking is important in getting business contracts. It wouldn't be wrong to say that networking is an inseperable part of your profesional life. Your professional success and achievements depend on your networking abilities.
Why You Should Network
- Networking gives you access to hidden opportunities.
- Networking is 10 times more effective than responsing to advertisements.
- Networking helps you in beating the competition.
- Networking is essential for obtaining business and finding jobs.
- Networking gives you access to key decisionmakers who impact your success.
Key Networking Techniques
- Define your objectives and learn to recognize the potential contacts who can help you in attaining your goals.
- Build a network of people who can help you in achieving your goals.
- Build an extensive network, including every possible contact who can make a difference.
- Be more visible. attend social gatherings and functions pertaining to your industry.
- Think of what you can do for your contacts in exchange for favors. It's a give-and-take, finally!
- Don't hesitate to exchange cards and call up your contacts every now and then.
- Remember the special occassions like birthdays and anniversaries of your contacts. Personalize!
- Go out of your way to help poeple. A favor begets a favor in return.
- Cultivate hobbies and interests that link you to important people who are in positions of power.
- Be friendly and introduce yourself casually to people you'd like to know.
These techniques will help you in honing your networking skills. Have you heard about online professional networking? Many websites allow you to build an online network of professionals in your industry and across industries. Most people don't really know how to use the online networking websites. NFW will soon bring you information about how to behave on professional networking websites.